Configure Outlook email client to use the Zimbra email service
This is designed to help you setup a new account in Outlook for your new mailbox. We recommend Thunderbird (www.mozilla.com the same people who write Firefox web browser – also recommended) as a free and powerful mail client in preference to Outlook as it is a standards compliant approach and works very well with modern mail systems. However, this is about what you want to do so here you go!
To configure Outlook Express to use a Zimbra email account:
- In Outlook Express, click Accounts on the Tools menu.
- In the Internet Accounts dialogue box, click Add, and then click Mail
- In the Display name box, type the name that you want other users to see when you send a message, and then click Next.
- In the E-mail address box, type the e-mail address for the account that you are using (for example, type firstname.lastname@example.org), and then click Next.
- In the E-mail Server Names box, click IMAP for the incoming mail server type (POP3) is the default type)
- Type zimbra.keepnet.net as the incoming (IMAP) and outgoing (SMTP) servers and Click Next.
- Type your IMAP account name and password in the Account name and Password boxes then click Next.
- In the Internet Mail Account Name box, type a name to identify the mail account, and then click Next and Click Finish.
- You should now be able to highlight this new account in the Internet Accounts window and then select ‘Properties’ When in this window click Advanced.
- In the Advanced window tick Incoming Mail – This server requires a secure connection SSL – the Port will automatically change to 993.
- Above this is the Outgoing Server equivalent tick box. You can try setting this as SSL and change the port number to 465 as some Outlook versions do appear to support this. If this is not the case then you can leave this unticked but we recommend you change the Port Number to 587.
- At same Properties window as when finding the Advanced tab, you will see a ‘Servers’ tab. Move to this and click the Outgoing Mail Server – My server requires authentication. Leave as using the same settings as incoming mail server.
- Click OK then Close to close the Internet Accounts dialogue box.
- When you are prompted to Refresh or download folders from the mail server, click Yes and enter password assigned as required.